top of page
Tractor Deforestation

Grading & Clearing

When Does This Permit Apply?

A Grading & Clearing Permit is needed for soil disturbance one acre and greater on any land used or being developed on for non-agricultural purposes within the unincorporated areas of Lorain County and may include:

  • General non-residential grading & clearing.

  • Grading for recreation - such as a pond.

  • Clearing & grubbing prior to development.​

How Do I Apply?

To apply for a Grading & Clearing Permit, all of the following items must be submitted to Lorain Soil & Water Conservation District at the time of application:

  • Completed Erosion & Sediment Control Application form.

  • Applicable fees (cash or check only made out to "Lorain County Commissioners") - based on acres disturbed.

  • Ohio EPA NPDES NOI - if your site disturbance is ≥1 acre and not part of a Common Plan of Development.

  • Site plan that outlines the limits of soil disturbance, setbacks, and installation location of best management practices.

  • Verification of compliance with other applicable permits.

The completed application packet can be submitted in person or by mail to:

42110 Russia Road, Elyria, OH 44035

Please see below for additional items that may help with the Grading & Clearing Permit application process.

BMP brochure

For any questions regarding Lorain County's Erosion & Sediment Control Rules, please contact Jack Fisher, Stormwater Specialist at 440-326-5808 or by email at

bottom of page