top of page

Full Erosion & Sediment Control / CSWMP

When Does This Permit Apply?

A Full Erosion & Sediment Control (ESC) / Comprehensive Storm Water Management Plan (CSWMP) Permit is needed for soil disturbance one acre and greater on any land used or being developed on for non-agricultural purposes within the unincorporated areas of Lorain County and may include:

  • Subdivisions, Commercial, or Industrial sites.

  • Non-residential individual development sites.

  • Multi-family development sites.

  • Non-residential lots within a Common Plan of Development. 

  • Multi-family development within a Common Plan of Development. 

For larger projects including post-construction practices and creation of impervious surfaces (such as subdivisions), additional plans may be required to be submitted to the Lorain County Engineer's Office.

How Do I Apply?

To apply for a Full ESC / CSWMP Permit, all of the following items must be submitted to Lorain Soil & Water Conservation District at the time of application:​

  • Completed Erosion & Sediment Control Application form.

  • Applicable fees (cash or check only made out to "Lorain County Commissioners") - based on acres disturbed, which should include the Plan Review Fee and the 2-Year Permit Coverage and Monthly Inspection Fee.

  • Ohio EPA Individual Lot NOI - if your site is part of a Common Plan of Development.

  • Ohio EPA NPDES NOI - if your site disturbance is ≥1 acre and not part of a Common Plan of Development.

  • Site plan that outlines the limits of soil disturbance, location of structures, setbacks, and installation location of best management practices.

  • Full set of plans including a Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWP3) - if applicable.

  • Verification of compliance with other applicable permits.



The completed application packet can be submitted in person or by mail to:

42110 Russia Road, Elyria, OH 44035

Please see below for additional items that may help with the Full Erosion & Sediment Control / CSWMP Permit application process.

For any questions regarding Lorain County's Erosion & Sediment Control Rules, please contact Jack Fisher, Stormwater Specialist at 440-326-5808 or email

For any questions regarding Lorain County's Comprehensive Storm Water Management Program Regulations, contact the Lorain County Engineers at 440-329-5584.

bottom of page